Summer is in the air and for me, it is always is a season of new beginnings. As I ramp up down for the summer I always think about how I can make my house the most comfortable and cozy place possible. I’m not talking an extreme renovation and remodeling, but more like a decorating mini makeover with a new piece of furniture or lighting. Or even a seasonal swap of pillows, throws and rugs.
The Internet is kind of amazing insofar as it puts the inventory of big home retailers at your fingertips. But the downside of that is, THERE. ARE. TOO. MANY. THINGS. to wade through. I get anxiety just seeing that there are over a thousand patterned rugs available at any given store because I want to look at them all (to make sure I’m not missing any gems on the last page of search results)! And if you want to comparison shop, well, that’s a whole other time suck — until now. Because we’ve taken the legwork out of shopping two strictly online home retailers known for their huge inventories (and competing TV advertisements): Wayfair and Overstock. And for ease, we’ve organized our finds into four categories: rugs, furniture, lighting and decor.
After pitting 20 like items against each other, here’s how things turned out: In a few cases, the stores had the same prices, but generally, Wayfair was a bit cheaper when it came to furniture, and Overstock had better deals on rugs. The results were mixed for our lighting and general decor searches, but Wayfair had a little bit of an edge in these categories, too. That said, it is worth checking both sites when you’re ready to make a major purchase. They do carry much of the same items, but the names are often different, meaning you have to use precise search terms (“Sputnik,” for example, not just gold chandelier), to locate identical items. Often, the best way to tell is through photography. They use some of the same styled images, which are likely from the vendors themselves (putting that image into Google Image Search can also help you).
And obviously, you’ll be needing home delivery since both companies don’t exist as brick and mortar stores. Wayfair offers free shipping on most orders over $49. For Overstock, a $45 purchase qualifies for free shipping in the lower 48 states. So here goes nothing … take a look at what we found.
Natural fiber rugs are the ultimate neutral. They go with any kind of decor, from boho to coastal. And they’re great for layering.
- Wayfair: Darby Home Co Natural Fiber Area Rug (8′ x 10′): $344.93
- WINNER! Overstock: Havenside Home Pensacola Hand-woven Natural Fiber Jute Sisal (7’6 x 9’6): $302.49
You saved on that sisal, so keep the momentum going with an inexpensive sheepskin to throw on top of it.
- Wayfair: Handmade Ivory Area Rug (2′ x 3′), $59.99
- WINNER! Overstock: Genuine Soft Australian Sheepskin Rug (2′ x 3′), $54.99
3. Moroccan Shag
A diamond patterned rug has become a new classic, but the gray and white colorway feels lighter for spring.
- WINNER! Wayfair: Supreme Shag Diamond White/Gray Area Rug (3’9″ x 5’9″), $74
- Overstock: Safavieh Montreal Diamond Shag Ivory/ Grey Rug (4′ x 6′), $124.99
4. Indoor/Outdoor Rug
Just picture what this graphic stripe style will look like underfoot, paired with palm print pillows and an outdoor sofa.
- TIE! Wayfair: Buske Hand-Woven Black/White Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug (5′ x 7’6″), $139.99
- TIE! Overstock: Wide Stripe Outdoor Rug (5′ x 7’6), $139.99
5. Modern Chesterfield Sofa
You can’t go wrong with a tufted sofa in deep blue performance velvet.
- WINNER! Wayfair: Ossett Tufted Elegant Chesterfield Sofa, $829.99
- Overstock: US Pride Furniture Modern Button-tufted Chesterfield Dylan Velvet Sofa, $925.49
6. Teal Armchair
Use a pair of these teal guys opposite a couch. Or try one for a reading nook or in a master bedroom.
- Wayfair: Meggie Armchair, $333
- WINNER! Overstock: Meena Buttoned Chair by Christopher Knight Home, $168.29
7. Tolix-Style Dining Chairs
These ever-popular metal dining chairs available in a rainbow of shades — though black feels modern and will go with everything.
- WINNER! Wayfair: Collier Dining Side Chair, $46.99 ($93.99 for 2)
- Overstock: Tabouret Bistro Steel Dining Chairs (Set of 2) – Black, $116.99 for 2
8. Parsons Desk
Another design classic that’ll never go out of style, a simple Parsons desk is great for a home office or bedroom.
- WINNER! Wayfair: Rickard Writing Desk, $89.99
- Overstock: Porch & Den Wicker Park Alley White XL 2-drawer Parsons Desk, $112.49
9. Coffee Table
Want to lighten up your living room? Try something with a leggy metal base and a shiny glass top.
- WINNER! Wayfair: Valora Coffee Table, $144.99
- Overstock: Acme Furniture Valora Coffee End Table, $155.99
10. Ghost Side Tables
Talk about visually quiet — these acrylic tables are space-saving and the perfect height for setting down drinks and snacks.
- Wayfair: Bentlee 3 Piece Nesting Tables, $196.99
- WINNER! Overstock: Poly and Bark Burton 3-piece Clear Nesting Table Set, $142.99
11. Sputnik Chandelier
Upgrade your dining room with a golden, midcentury-inspired sunburst pendant light.
- Wayfair: Ullman 12-Light Sputnik Chandelier, $386.99
- WINNER! Overstock: Y-Decor 12 Light Chandelier in Gold finish, $375.99
12. White Pendant
These lights are what you need over your kitchen island or sink to nail the modern farmhouse look.
- TIE! Wayfair: Menara 1-Light Mini Pendant, $280
- TIE! Overstock: Menara 1-Light White Line-Voltage Pendant, $280
This sconce would be great mounted horizontally over a bathroom vanity. Or install two vertically, flanking the vanity mirror for an alternate look.
- WINNER! Wayfair: Rickford 2-Light Wall Sconce, $81.99
- Overstock: Minka Kovacs Saber 2 Light Bath, $94.50
14. Table Lamp
The gourd lamp is such a wonderful, sculptural shape. Try a pair in a bold shade, like blood orange or yellow, for a pop of color on nightstands or living room side tables.
- WINNER! Wayfair: Monroy Triple Gourd Ceramic 27″ Table Lamp, $179.99
- Overstock: Safavieh Lighting 27″ Amy Triple Gourd Table Lamp (Set of 2), $181.98
15. Desk Lamp
This glass shade desk lamp has a little bit of an industrial edge.
- Wayfair: Keystone Iron Lantern 18.75″ Desk Lamp, $51.99
- WINNER! Overstock: Carbon Loft Locke Black Lantern Desk Lamp, $51.04
16. Porthole Mirror
For a nautical touch in a powder room.
17. Toss Pillows
The easiest way to change up your home decor: new throw pillows.
- WINNER! Wayfair: Welford Plush Throw Pillow, $28.99
- Overstock: De Moocci Faux Fur Plush Throw Pillow, $29.99
18. Throw Blanket
Refresh a tired sofa with a new throw. Stripes are always a good idea if you have a solid couch.